Object of Lust

Reykjavik Flea Market and the Tiburon Bag...
My only disappointment when I went to Iceland was not spending enough time in the city itself. Allow yourself at least 2 full days of wandering round. It's abundant in cafes, music, art and fashion shops. Many are hidden away, characteristic of Reykjavik's way of life. Little hidden gems dotted down side roads, around corners and in its skyline, which makes them all the more special when you discover them. Just like their port-side flea market.
If vintage, nordic clothing and keepsakes are your thing you can spend hours lost in here. The older market people are not the friendliest I have to admit and their English is poor, I always feel very embarrassed as to how bad my languages are so tend to try and make up for it by being super smiley, friendly apologetic and by saying Tak or Taschen Tak (Thank you) a hell of a lot.
The rafters are strewn with flags, twinkle lights and miscellaneous bits and pieces. I stumbled across an amazing corner more like a tramps castle than a stall and after failing at haggling for the best Icelandic T-shirt for my boyfriend (It wasn't for sale!) She let me have his bag for free as compensation! -Actually she hated it and thought I was crazy for even letting it enter my eyeline.
It's made from old fishing net and some weird hard wearing cotton with Sharks all over it (and obviously Tiburon -the Icelandic translation for Shark). After a wee while I had to fix the handles and put a lining in with a pocket for my phone and keys as I didn't want to wear the fabric through. But it's my favourite bag in the whole world. It fits everything in and goes amazingly well with a denim or leather jacket... nice.




1 comments:

  1. I really like that bag! Love the colours and the fish :) xx

    ReplyDelete